Friday, June 14, 2013

"One in Ten Americans Is a Shopaholic" via The Cut

I found this article last week and I thought it was really interesting!
It's about a survey that was conducted by CouponCabin.com which found that one in ten Americans is a "shopaholic".


Every time I hear the word "shopaholic" the first thing I think of is the book series by Sophie Kinsella, Confessions of a Shopaholic and fear that one day I'll become like Rebecca. Which by the way, if you haven't read this series, I completely recommend it!


Anyway, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who likes to shop.
Lately I've been trying to not spend so much money, but with all the great sales and new cute summer stuff out, it's been difficult.
Online shopping is defiantly a weakness for me.  It's just way too easy to plug in a bunch of numbers online and pay for new clothes.
I guess this is true for a lot of other people too considering that 11% of Americans consider themselves "shopaholics" according to the article.

Marketing these days is so clever that it makes shopping almost a mindless experience.  For me, I don't always really think my purchases through until after I get home.  
In my personal finance class at school we were just learning about how to be a smart shopper.
So I thought that I would share some tips on how to be a better consumer!
Here are a few things you should do before and while shopping:

1. Create a budget - if you set a limit on how much you want to spend during a time period, you will be less likely to make extravagant purchases.
2. Only buy things that you really need and will use - okay, so we are all guilty of buying things that we never wear or use, right?  Try and avoid this mistake by asking yourself if you really need it or if you just really want it and if you are really going to use it.
3. Shop sales - instead of purchasing that sweater at full price, try waiting two more weeks until it goes on sale.  This can save you a lot f money!


To check out the whole article, click here!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment